Come Fairies, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind, and dance upon the mountains like a flame!
~W.B. Yeats




Had I the heaven's embroidered cloths,
Enwrought with golden and silver light,

The blue and the dim and the dark cloths
Of night and light and the half light,
I would spread the cloths under your feet.

But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams...

~W.B. Yeats



Wednesday, April 16, 2014

A small iris





So, as you know... my mom really loved to stitch. And she really loved to start new things to stitch. Can you imagine? Starting something new and not finishing your "other" project first?

I think she must have had this secret, unsaid rule that she followed that required she only stitch half the design, and then move on to another. lol

Though.... I have come across some real lovely Silver Lining Designs (like the fuchsias) that she did complete all the way . That was her favorite designer.

Anyway, I came across this beautiful iris (Mom's name was Iris) and it was half way finished. Its rather small, so this is one over one. The whole frame measures maybe 4 inches or so high. (I'd measure it, but I took it to the framers to get a piece of glass for it) I found the frame in the tiny basket. Happy me!

So I put an "I" for her and an "N" for me in the lower border.

I'm having fun finding things and finishing them.

One of these days I'm going to tackle the stack of misc. things from her (well, just the ones I actually brought home, there are many more at her house still! lol) and maybe (probably) make one of those lists of unfinished things that many stitchers make at the beginning of each year. We'll see when that happens...

2 comments:

Chris said...

What a lovely finish. It is so great that you are finishing some of your Mom's pieces like this.

Vickie said...

Chris has said exactly what I was going to say! I love the I and the N you added. :)